Have you had a super stressed out week? Did this sometimes get you feeling down in the dumps? Did it make you want to give up on your life 😵, just pack up and crawl up into a ball in the corner? Well trust me, you’re not alone. We all feel that way, sometimes.
Recently, I made one of the most abrupt and biggest moves of my life. As you can imagine, that came with a lot of stress. Plus the fact that I was moving in with my parents…a whole different bag of stress 😤. Not even going to get into that. Let’s just say I was getting to my wit’s end.
On Friday, I was talking to my girlfriend. She’s having this phase of hating her job – constantly bored at work and irritated by her boss. And this has trickled down to the rest of her life. She was fed up with everything and this just caused so much stress and sadness 😢
Also from talking to my boo this week, he was telling me almost the same story. He was finding his life daunting and unsatisfactory 😔. Every task he had to do was such a mission. He’s been feeling blue.
This got me thinking. What do I do to de-stress…to relax and keep from feeling depressed?? And what could I say to these people I love, to make them feel better?
Number One rule: Keep busy – Find yourself a project and immerse yourself in it.
Rule Numero Dos: Cleanliness – “He longed for cleanliness and tidiness: it was hard to find peace in the middle of disorder” – Robin Hobb, City of Dragons
So with these rules in mind, I came up with some helpful tips to get you on your way to feeling better.
- Music: Music is your best friend this weekend. You should have a bunch of playlists ready to go (you can try using Spotify web player). I would suggest some pretty upbeat music to start off, especially when you’re gonna be doing some of the more active stuff. If you get the urge to sing and/or dance along in your underwear, give in.
- Do your laundry. Gather all your dirty clothes, you must have some. Sort them out (preferably by colour), put your first load in and don’t stop till everything is washed, dried, folded and put back in its place.
- Exercise: I believe that a great workout to start your day truly changes your whole day. Try some yoga, go for a run or jog, hit the gym, go on youtube and find some at-home workout videos, anything works. Here is an article that lists some of the benefits of working out – https://draxe.com/benefits-of-exercise/
- Housekeeping: When was the last time you cleaned your flat? Don’t lie; no one is here to judge you. Well get a move on. I find the best way to clean my flat without getting overwhelmed is to take each room as a new challenge. Finish one room before I move onto the next and try not to take a big break between each room.
Remember, “Despite his best efforts, maintaining dignity in a head attached to an unclean body wrapped in unclean garments was a battle that encouraged surrender” – Dan Groat, Monarchs and Mendicants
- Taking care of your body: So by now, your clothes are getting cleaned, your flat is clean. Time to get your body fit for your clean flat. At this point, I like to wash my hair, shave, scrub my whole body and shower.
- Planning ahead (food): Time to get thinking about the next week. At this point, I like to come up with a meal plan for the week. Cause I hate having to think about what I’m gonna eat during the week; plus I may just not have enough time to sort it out. Also, this helps me figure out what I’d need to buy when I go grocery shopping. You may find these articles helpful:
- At this point, you’re basically free to do whatever you like.
- Want a relaxed rest of the weekend – netflix and chill, pamper yourself, play your video game, plan your next project
- Want a more active rest of the weekend – go out to the pub and catch a game, meet up with a friend, visit your local attractions, go to the movies, go for a night out
- Planning ahead (clothes): Another thing I like to do before the weekend ends, especially after doing laundry, is to pick out at least 5 outfits for the next week. Get them prepped – ironing and all. Or you could just do this the night before. But I like to do it on the weekend so I can really enjoy my weeknights.
- Stay connected: At some point before the end of the weekend, I also like to call my friends and family to catch up. Thank god for Facetime, Skype and WhatsApp call.
- Sleep: I love to have a good night sleep during the weekend and most importantly, waking up without an alarm. Makes a world of difference.
At this point, you must be feeling relaxed and getting ready to take down the next week like a beast 🐗. Yay us!!! Job well done 👍 🎉 🎊 🎈
Before I love you and leave you, just remember, it’s all in your mind. A positive mind is really the key to kicking butt.
Have a happy week 💋